Sunday, May 10, 2009

Anaphalactic Shock #2

So we're fighting colds and feeling awful last night. I bought some Alkaseltzer for Joseph, and decided to take it to see if it helped. I went to sleep right after taking it, and an hour later woke up with very very strong and painful esophageal (sp?) cramping. I took two Benadryl, waited about 20 minutes, and the cramping and pain were worsening, and then I started losing my voice and feeling a slight tightness of breath.

I started to get a little scared, and with God's advice took an epi-pen shot. First time I'd had to do that, and first time I had to take epinephrine since my first experience with anaphalactic shock (right after delivering Eden). I took Benadryl through the night, and during the night my lips and eyelids swelled up so I looked like a puffy Angelina Jolie.

I guess that means I can't have Aspirin, since that was the only thing we (my mom, my ER doctor uncle, and Joseph) figured I could react to.

I'm feeling a lot better now, but it was still a bit scary knowing that if I hadn't taken the epi-pen I could have died. I'm just glad I listened to God and took it!

My lips aren't swelled anymore and the cramping/swelling in my esophagus is gone. My eyelids are still puffy and my cheeks as well (a little), but now I just feel like I'm fighting a cold and not the rest of the allergic reaction.

I'm sad I missed out on Mother's Day. I really wanted to do what we had planned, which was going out with my parents, his mom, my brother, and our family to Red Robin. *sigh* Oh well! We're planning to get together for a BBQ at his mom's house in a week or so.

Tata for now!

No comments: